Sunday, July 15, 2012

Save As Draft by Cavanaugh Lee


"I thought we were reading a classic this week?" Rachel whines, as she sips on her glass of Pinot Noir.

"Sabotage!" I say. "The librarian said that I absolutely had to read this fun book. And therefore, you did too."

"I was quite looking forward to a musty old read." Frannie says, " But please, not Tess of D'Urbervilles. I just watched the film on youtube and I want my two hours back. I was ready to shave my head and pluck out my eyes by the time the bloody thing ended. Classic or not, Thomas Hardy has wasted my time. And at my age, I don't have that much time left."

"But it was only a film, Frannie. It wasn't the book. The book is always better than the film." I try to calm her down but I fall short.

"I've lived through it once, Ella. I would rather face the heartache of season nine of Spooks ten times over than live through Tess and Angel's story any more. Give me Richard Armitage betraying everyone, including me, any day over that."

"Don't get your knickers in a knot, Frannie." I send my cat, Mr. Tumnus, over to Frannie's chair. Mr. Tumnus is able to be a soothing presence like no other.

Rachel saves the day by starting off the book discussion. "This was a stretch for me, girls. At first, when I saw the format--email drafts, telephone texts, online dating surveys, etc.--I put the book down and planned on faking a flu bug for tonight. But, I'd miss my wine..., so I had to read it. I have to say that once I got into it, I was hooked. I liked the quick messages, the missed messages and the mixed messages. A great commentary on today's use of modern technology and how it affects relationship communication."

Frannie looks at me suddenly. "Is that what all that nonsense was on the page about dates, and to and from and subject lines? We were reading emails and texts?"

"Yes, Fran. That's why the book is called 'Save As Draft'. It's about the things you say and don't say when you are communicating through today's method of communication, mainly texts and emails(Jolly good idea for a book, by the way). Didn't you pick up on that?"

Frannie pats Mr. Tumnus on the head. "Well, I do now. It makes sense now that I know what is going on." She scratches Mr. Tumnus behind the ears and grows thoughtful. Finally she says, " I was rooting for her to end up with the first young man. And then when I heard the story of the second young man, I thought she should end up with him. She did a good job of making me torn between the two men."

"Are you kidding me, Frannie? The first guy was a complete and utter knob. I mean, later on in the book, he is a total toad. He is utterly self-absorbed--"

"But so is the main character." Rachel interrupts. "She is a very selfish person. I didn't like her at all. But the style the book was written in, once I got used to it, made for an interesting book. I don't know that I'd read a style like that again, but kudos to her for taking on a new way of writing. It was a quick, fun read, but not deep dish."

"Chick -lit never is. As I was saying earlier," I sigh, "we were sabotaged. This book demanded a unique sort of attention and it took our focus away from our true purpose."

"Which is?" Rachel asks, sipping her wine.

"Quality food." Frannie says, before I can speak. " Pass the brioche, Ella." 

Mr. Tumnus meows his agreement.

We decide that this book is a Take with You on the Tram and Read in Between Rides To and From Work...But Once is Enough

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena