Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley


"I'm naming my scooter 'Gladys'. If it's good enough for Flavia's bicycle, it's good enough for me." Frannie comes in the door with this announcement and two pies. One is lemon and the other is some sort of fruity concoction.

"These look lovely, Frannie. I didn't know you were a baker." Rachel sips on her wine and watches as I place Frannie's pies next to my own rhubarb creme pie.

"Who is going to eat all this pie?" I ask.

"We are," announces Rachel. "Because it is going to take all three pies for me to talk about how much I adore this book. Alan Bradley was at my bedside all week."

Frannie coughs.

"In book form, Frannie! In book form. I couldn't put it down. Once I hit the half way mark I read until three in the morning. It was that addictive."

 "Frannie, tell all. What were your favourite bits from the story?" I ask as r. Tumnus eyes the cream topping on the rhubarb pie.

"Oh, all of it. My youth recaptured, of course. I was about the same age as Flavia in those days. Bradley nailed down the era so perfectly, so elegantly. I felt as though I were young once again, the wind flying through my own pigtails as I rode down the lane. For me, absolutely the grandest part was the setting--the depiction of the manor, Buckshaw, the quaintness of the village of Bishop Lacey and the time period. Bradley used a superb vocabulary to describe it all and I feel as though he wrote about my childhood."

(Find this image at here)

"You were a spy and detective who specialized in poisons and being cheeky with the police?" I ask Frannie.

Frannie smooths her skirt and adjusts her 'I heart Flavia' T-shirt. "Well, not exactly. But there was an incident once involving a mule, a vicar and an apple cart. I was directly involved and some good came out of it in the end."

Rachel and I stare at Frannie waiting for her to continue. Even Mr. Tumnus waits patiently for the full story.

"That's all. I'm not going into any details about how I rescued a man in dire need of saving and was rewarded with  bushel of apples. It's long ago and forgotten." Frannie nods her head emphatically. "Rachel, tell me your favourite bits?"

Rachel finishes her piece of pie and leans forward with a whisper. "My favourite scene is when the clues come together over the stamp. Absolutely crafty on Flavia's part. How she makes her discovery and deductions were very entertaining. Bravo."

"I simply loved the poisons and that chemistry lab of hers." I add, while selecting another piece of Frannie's fruity pie.

"The ending. Utter genius!" Rachel claps her hands. "The setting is perfect. Frannie is quite right on that point. That old house is perfect for all sorts of mystery. The characters are believable and diverse. The plot twists are quite unexpected. I am simply in love with this book."

I slice a piece of  lemon pie for Rachel. "I enjoyed the sister relationship. It is so deliciously written--the rivalry, the meanness, the arrogance. Oh, to have sisters who are so ruthless and mean!"

Rachel laughs, "The lipstick!"

We all burst out in a giggle over it.

"I want to watch the movie of it." Frannie says. "Youtube let me down this time. All it had was some sort of graphic show with a highlight of chapter one. Entertaining enough but I want to see the film! " She wiggles her eyebrows, "Perhaps Richard Armitage will be in it."

I ignore Frannie. If we get her talking about Richard Armitage we will never get to giving this book a verdict. I'm still recovering from last week's homage to Armitage.

"Listen, I have a thought." I place the last piece of fruity pie onto a plate and offer it to Frannie. "Let's read Flavia again. Only let's read the next book in a few weeks. I checked online and so far there are only four books in this series that are published. I say that we should read one a month and savour the books. I am tempted to do a 'thon, but it's simply too delicious to rush. One book a month, I say."

Rachel refills her wine glass and says, " I will toast to that. And to Flavia.!"

"To Flavia!" Frannie and I say in unison.

(to find this image, go here)

--

We all agree, this book goes onto the hallowed shelf of "Will Definitely, At Some Point Soon-ish, Be Reading This Book Once Again". Preferably on a wet and bland day with a full box of digestives and a decent cup of tea.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena